Interested in keeping up with the latest catheters available on the market? 180 Medical is always ready to share the scoop on the newest products with you, and today, we'd like to introduce you to ConvaTec's new line of GentleCath hydrophilic catheters.
What is a hydrophilic catheter?The word "hydrophilic" basically refers to something that readily absorbs or mixes with water, and a hydrophilic coating on a catheter does just that. A hydrophilic catheter has a type of coating which, once activated by water, becomes lubricated with a slippery, smooth coat that's directly bonded to the catheter tube itself. This means there is no need to manually apply lubricant to the catheter, creating a touchless, sterile environment and a smooth catheterization experience from start to finish.
Compared to uncoated catheters, hydrophilic catheters may help reduce the risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs).
What are the features of GentleCath hydrophilic catheters?ConvaTec’s GentleCath hydrophilic intermittent catheters are coated with a hydrophilic polymer that reacts with water to become super-smooth and slippery to fully lubricate the catheter for insertion into the body. No addition lubricant is needed at all! Because the hydrophilic coating is bonded directly to the catheter, the water-activated lubricant will not slough off as the catheter enters your urethra, maintaining a smooth, friction-free catheterization experience from insertion to withdrawal.
Here are some additional features:
- No Touch Handling Strip: This blue strip is included with each GentleCath hydrophilic catheter, which makes it easier to handle the catheter during insertion and helps to keep your hands from touching the catheter directly. The no touch strip helps keep the process more sterile, minimizing risk of infection. It's also easily removable.
- Sterile Water Sachet: This easy-to-pop water sachet allows you to use a catheter where ever you have privacy. With an included water packet, you can rest easy, knowing you'll never have to search for a sterile water source to activate the lubricant on your hydrophilic catheter. This makes catheterization convenient, whether you're at home or on the go!
- Wall Attachment Tab: The package includes a blue circular wall attachment tab. When you pull off the blue circle, it reveals a sticky surface that allows you to attach the package to the wall while you wait the 15 seconds for the water to activate the hydrophilic coating.
- The latex-free vinyl catheters also feature color-coded funnels to help you determine French size.
How do I use the GentleCath Hydrophilic Catheter?Take a look at this quick introductory video direct from ConvaTec, which gives you some step-by-step cathing instructions and a good look at the catheter features in action.
For more information regarding how to catheterize, feel free to call one of our trained specialists so we can walk you through that process. 180 Medical also has one-of-a-kind catheterization instruction materials we can send to you with your order, including a step by step DVD and printed color brochures.
Is this product available in my size and required type?
GentleCath's hydrophilic straight tip intermittent catheters are available in female length (8 inches) and male length (16 inches). Male length catheters feature French sizes from 8 Fr to 18 Fr, and the female length come in French sizes from 8 Fr to 16 Fr.
- GentleCath's hydrophilic coude tip intermittent catheters are male length (16 inches) and are available in French sizes from 8 Fr to 18 Fr.
Which GentleCath products does 180 Medical carry?
180 Medical proudly carries GentleCath's entire product line, including their 100% latex-free PVC (vinyl) straight intermittent catheters, coude tip, red rubber catheters, hydrophilic catheters and hydrophilic catheter kits.
How can I try out GentleCath's hydrophilic catheters and find a catheter that's right for me?Just contact 180 Medical by filling out our online inquiry form, connect to us via Live Chat, or give us a call at 1-877-688-2729 to speak to one of our highly trained, friendly specialists. We are happy to help you find the right catheter for you, and we can verify your insurance to determine if and how these products are covered on your policy.
About the Author:
Jessica has worked for 180 Medical for 5 years and currently holds the title of Purchasing & Marketing Coordinator. Her favorite things about 180 Medical are her great co-workers and getting to work for such a fun, caring company.