September 1st marks the beginning of a full month dedicated to raising awareness about spinal cord injuries.
It’s important for us all to be aware of spinal cord injuries and the life-changing effects they can have on those living with SCI every day. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Association, “every 48 seconds in America, a person becomes paralyzed.” This can occur from motor vehicle accidents, sports injuries, falls, and more.
You may already know that our founder Todd Brown was injured in a motocross accident and is paralyzed from the chest down. This accident is what eventually led him to create our company, so the cause is, of course, near and dear to our hearts here at 180 Medical. We also have employees on staff who have been affected by spinal cord injuries.
According to a recent study by the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, there are approximately 1,275,000 people living with spinal cord injuries, so chances are that you or someone you may know has been directly or indirectly affected. You’re not alone.
We invite you to share this post to help spread awareness of spinal cord injuries to your friends and family.
Visit the links below for more resources.
- Christopher & Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center — Request a free copy of their comprehensive Paralysis Resource Guide and get access to informative videos, facts, local resources. There are options to donate, join Team Reeve, and get involved in raising awareness.
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association — Join NSCA’s United Spinal Team Advocacy to work for change, stay in the know on upcoming events and the latest news, and access local chapters and support groups. You can also find publications, advocacy brochures, handrims for your wheelchair, and more in their online store.
- The Buoniconti Fund — A non-profit organization committed to finding a cure for paralysis from spinal cord injury. Stay up to date on the latest news and events, donate, and find support and resources.
- Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) — An organization dedicated specifically to United States Military service members and veterans who are paralyzed. Find news, information, and local chapters for support.
- United Spinal Association — This organization is dedicated to providing support and enhancing quality of life for those with spinal cord injuries. Find resources, support from peers and your community, counseling for veterans, ways to get involved and donate, and more.
- Travis Roy Foundation — Stay up to date on recent research, find volunteer opportunities, donate, and find other ways to get involved.
- Apparelyzed forums — Meet others who are dealing with various issues related to spinal cord injuries and/or paralyzation in an online forum. Connect with their Facebook page for additional peer support and networking.